Re: Are you a Yahoo! group member?

I have become a lurker on some of the lists because of this policy stuff. I can't post unless I'm listed.

S.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Ylvisaker" <greyfell@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Are you a Yahoo! group member?

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Maxey <written_by@xxxxxxx>
What bothers me is trying to figure out why it bothers you. After all, the use of tracking is explained on the Yahoo web site and apparently, you can opt out. If you do not like it, do not participate in Yahoo groups. Apparently Yahoo is upfront about it and it is not their fault you did not read their privacy policy and do a little research first. Do not complain about Yahoo's privacy policy. If you do not like it, stay away. You agreed to it when you click the little "I Agree" button.

It matters very little

Bob

Bob,

It matters quite a lot. Because, what bothers us is that Yahoo changes their privacy policy, periodically, adding new ways to track their members. Yes, they tell you the policy has been updated, but they rely on the fact that most members will not review the update. Every update, by default, requires the member to opt out of the new tracking method, not to opt in, so with every change another method of getting spam mail comes along, that the members must actively turn off. It would be like Photoforum changing its policy, with the least little bit of announcement, and starting to send you unwanted emails that you would have to send an email to RIT's MIS to stop getting.

Stephen