Lens tests

Lots of good information here, for the technically unchallenged (which in this case, I'm not one of -- it's not thermodynamics, fluid mechanics or heat transfer!): http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/ misc/res-chart.html. If you have MatLab, go for it (Maybe they've compiled the program so it will run on anything. I haven't tried it.). But, without running the tests there's still a lot of info. My printer (Epson R800) is not good enough to print a decent resolution chart and it's not important enough to me to spend $100 for a real one. But, there are probably simpler things to do. If so, I'd like to know about them.

A friend just sent his 20D to Canon for repair of a focusing problem (one day out of warranty!). His photos of the small print on a cereal box with a 2.0 L lens revealed a problem. Manual focus (with fiddling) was far better than automatic. Anyone else experienced it?

Roger

Roger Eichhorn
eichhorn@xxxxxx