Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: End-of-time-period greetings (was Re: Christmas greeting gallery)

Renate wrote:

Wishing everybody a wonderful and merry rest of this year and a happy
new one, too!

Renate

Many thanks for these wonderful wishes, Renate, but would you care to be a bit more specific on which calendar system you are refering to here.

Is it the Gregorian or the Julian, the Mayan or the Persian, the Hebrew or the French Republican, the Islamic or the ISO-8601 Week and Day and Day of Year system, the Bahá'í or the Unix time() value system?

Might it actually be the Excel Serial Day Number 1904 Date System (Macintosh)?

Or, "G*d" (a word meant to represent a deity worshipped by a certain percentage of the population of a planet in a galaxy of a universe which could - but not necessarily so - be expanding or contracting or even possibly be part of a myriad of other interconnected universes, heretoforth - for purpose of convenience but without prejudice to any system of belief or lack thereof - called "God") forbid, would you be refering to the Excel serial day 1900 Date System (PC)?

I have absolutely no intention to start a controversy on the appropriatedness - or lack thereof - of greeting a particular "End-of-time-period" day. But clearly your statement is open an invitation to start what could potentially be a very acrimonious debate.

Notwhithstanding any of the above, please, Renate and all PF'ers, accept my very best wishes for whatever occasion you might find appropriate to accept wishes for at this particular juncture.

Guy Glorieux