Re: Canon zoom telephoto lens question.

Hi Ya Doc,

The Non _IS version is slightly slower than the IS version. But both are still being made by Canon and readily available. I have used both but own the older one. I will be switching to the IS version next year primarily due to the fact that it performs better with the 1.4 & the IS does work great in low light. I do sometimes get "motion sick" looking through the IS tho'.

Both are rugged lenses but the IS version is better sealed than the Non IS.  A few users of the old lens had some
issues with the front element coming loose (mind did) after normal to heavy use. But later versions have fixed that, and the IS does not have that issue at all.

I really love this lens and it has gotten me several published images, mine does need to go into the shop for an overhaul and cleaning but that is normal with it being nearly 10 years old and hauled all over the place. Just make sure that you use the lens hood and an excellent quality filter at all time and you should have no issues with it either way. If you don't need the 2.8 the f4 version is great too. I have used it but have yet to buy one. It's great for those situations where weight is an issue.

The real reason to get the IS is low light. It can buy you quite a bit of difference when shooting action indoors. Also it can lower your need to bump up the ISO and still get usable images.

Les Baldwin