Re: Panoramas.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"

: 1. how can I determine where the nodal point for my lens is ? I have
looked
: at a few but can't seem to find any kind of imprinted sign that
identifies
: it (maybe I haven't looked in the right place).

set the camera up on the tripod and set up a number of objects reasonably
close to the front of the lens spanning away from the lens, and set them
all sligtly apart so they can all bee seen from your position.  Now look
through the viewfinder and move the lens from left to right - do the
objects appear to move in relation to one another?  If so, you're not set
at the nodal point.. move the camera back a bit on the slider and wiggle
again - when you get to the point such that all objects appear to maintain
the same relationship to one another as the lens is swung about then you're
at the spot.  mark it on the lens :)

: 2. What would be the ideal lens focal length to be used for a panorama ?

Longer is better for the reasons mentioned by James.

 : 4. I have seen panoramas made with the camera mounted on the tripod in
: landscape mode as well as in portrait mode. What is the best one and what
: difference exists between the two options ?

either or really, whatever makes you smile ..
:
: 5. What is the best panorama software to use with the Macintosh ? I am
: looking for one that provides some alternatives in terms of image editing
: remove some unwanted image artifacts.

ahh, might I be a bastard and suggest you borrow a friends PC, load the
freeware 'autostitch' and sit back and be amazed at what free stuff can do?

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

worth eyeballing the results in the gallery too, though note a few images
are compiled from widely seperated shots and look a bit awful, others are
very nice
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/panogallery/panogallery.html