Panoramas.

Dear members:

I am purchasing a special tripod head for panorama shots and have some
questions for the group.

1. how can I determine where the nodal point for my lens is ? I have looked
at a few but can't seem to find any kind of imprinted sign that identifies
it (maybe I haven't looked in the right place).

2. What would be the ideal lens focal length to be used for a panorama ?

3. What is considered the proper overlap between shots for proper assembly
of the panorama and the achievement of the best possible results ?

4. I have seen panoramas made with the camera mounted on the tripod in
landscape mode as well as in portrait mode. What is the best one and what
difference exists between the two options ?

5. What is the best panorama software to use with the Macintosh ? I am
looking for one that provides some alternatives in terms of image editing to
remove some unwanted image artifacts.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Joseph Chamberlain