EQUIVALENT pixels???

Now I should know, rather than just guess.

But yesterday on a rare (very very RARE( visit to a city centre I noticed all the digital cameras in "Jessops" (a shop) window were listed as having N-million EQUIVALENT pixels.

Now I immediately read that as "well, actually we don't have that many but interpolate them up to make the numbers sound better"

Is that just cynicism ... or why don't they just say how many there are in physical terms?

Bob