Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 04:41 PM 11/13/2005, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > > So your image of the muy thai fighters got stolen and reprinted who
> > > knows where. What is your plan to prevent that next time you have
> > > the one in thousand shot?
> >
> >I'll point out that, in the case of that particular image, Jeff *sold*
> >it to a client for web use.  If something is used on the web, it *can*
> >be ripped off.  All you can do is what Jeff did -- find them, and try
> >to get them to stop using it, perhaps using legal action if it looks
> >feasible.
>
> For some reason, I didn't respond here, but David did.

Hope you don't mind my sticking my oar in.

> However, this isn't a "one in thousand shot" for me.  It's what I do
> to stay ahead.  I have to get at least one like that shot in *every*
> "feature" fight.  I lose big time if I don't.  Here's another
> typical shot - http://www.spirer.com/satfights/images/f1.jpg - which
> is interesting.  Another photographer got exactly the same shot, but
> he doesn't compete with me - he only does work for hire, and I sell
> all my own images.  But if he was freelancing, I would have to try
> to stay ahead of him through marketing, because his photos are as
> good as, or better than mine, just as mine are sometimes better than
> his.  We'd just slug it out in the business end.

Both shots are indeed quite striking.  And I can't help enjoying the
pun while I'm at it.

How close to 1000 shots do you come for a feature fight?

I've got various personal issues with a lot in boxing, but it seems to
be pretty darned popular, and even without trying to photograph boxing
myself I can get an idea that those pictures weren't easy!

I notice that they both feature a major impact, and both have it
taking place off-screen (on the far side of a body from our
viewpoint).  Is this coincidence (small sample, after all), personal
preference, or what?  I'm *not* objecting to it, it's actually quite
effective the way these two photos use it.

And I don't know what variant of boxing this is, but I don't see how
they avoid killing people with, apparently, kicks allowed, and no
guards on the feet.