RE: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Hi Jeff,

I shoot in three main areas, aircraft, fashion & sports. I am not a fine art photographer. I don't create  many pretty pictures of trees and mountains. I really appreciate those that do, however.

I hear where you are coming from, but how amateurs and students lower pricing is this.

About 6 years ago I was working on a TPP for a major aircraft magazine. I paid in advance the costs of the air to air work so that I could control the images and the intricate details of the shoot itself. I had already talked money with the magazine, pitched the story and images.  I did not have a confirmed contract with them (there was a serious time crunch) however primarily because they would not sign with me as an unknown (so they told me later). Yes I had done all the prep work prior to pitching the idea. I did the shoot and had most of the story written when a nearly identical story was published in there sister magazine using the contacts and aircraft that I had pitched.

When I called the PE he told me that they thought the idea was very good but they could get the similier images cheaper and do the writing themselves. I was frozen out. A retired air force guy shot the pictures and gave it to the magazine just so he could get his name in there. 13 images over 6 pages including one gate fold. My images were of greater quality w/ better formations and would have garnered about 3k for me all told.

And don't get me started on newbies in the wedding arena that use give aways as a way to get business and undercut the other photographers in that market. People do not buy a photograoher for the quality of the image so mcuh as the price.

You see the magazines love to lowball the photographers while grabbing all rights too. But they don't do that to the ink and paper guys that actually print the magazine do they. They get paid because the editors know that theill no next publication if they play any games.

Plain and simple the freebies are where a magazine or newspaper will get it's shot when it can. Free stock, is impossible to compete with. So still where does that leave Kostas?

If he gives away a print will the patron actually want to buy the others or will just take his freebie and go home?

Really folks how many have gone to walmart and got the free 8x10 of the grandkids this week and left the rest on the table.  Fine art, no. Valuanble image maybe. But With Steve, he lives in a different world than us. By that I mean that Carmel has more art galleries than some states. It's great to invoke the name of dead master but that does not fit into todays business models. The reality is that most could not care one whit about taking the freebie
and going home.

It just rankles the crap out me when someone wants to give their work away. I rarely do that. I will do trades with some if it benefits me. But I would never give up an image for nothing. A trade has value going both ways. A freebie with no actual hope of a sale is stupid. I have given images to get better access to an event. I have given images to a family when that was all they had of a dying child. The family was homeless.

But giving anything to the rich in the hopes they will buy more, is not sound business. to me it cheapens wour creative spirit and show that you automatically devalue your own hard work.

Les

Steve one question. Can  I get all your  images sent to me on a CD then I can print them and sell them at the flea market.  Because you can with many of the old master photographers. It  is truly sad that that takes place.