Re: PF Gallery Misgivings November

Thanks for my laugh of the day...and so early, too.

Lea

On Nov 8, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Gregory Fraser wrote:

Images here:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Ranting here:

Robert G. Earnest - Ah, yes. The Fox TV rendition of America. An obese (but lovable) person 'woohoo'ing as a meteorological disaster bears down on him. Why is he happy? He's gonna have that government disaster relief money, the TV news money and the 'Amazing Video' show money he gets from selling the footage plus he's gonna be all over the internet! Wow, he already IS on the internet! Sure beats busting your ass loading pumpkins onto a truck.

Jim Snarski (Autumn) - Like the contrast of color but my monitor doesn't do justice to what I imagine this scene looks like in real life.

Trevor Cunningham - Like the end result here. Looks like a shot Admiral Byrd might have shot with a Kodak view camera back in '28. Well he might have if the arctic had been covered in calcium instead of ice and snow. Oh, and if you crop the top 1/4 of the image off it looks like a majestic bunny.

D.L. Shipman (Approaching Blood (full) Moon Oct, 2005) - Nice and clear. The moon is so cool. I remember staring at it with my little telescope as a kid. The photos are always so low contrast though. You should try bumping up the contrast and colorizing a bit. Gotta make your photos stand out if you want to get noticed. While you're at it Photoshop your initials or your face onto the surface. Make it faint and obscure like the way Jesus makes his face appear in pancakes and gourd bumps.

Seriously though, nice shot.

Rubin Diehl F. (Escher Lives!) - There is a fire escape outside a building that I pass on my way home from work and the regular pattern of the steps always attract my attention probably in the same way you were drawn to this shot. Their repeating, organized rhythm, while not exactly soothing, gives me a sense of stability and calm. Your image gives me the opposite feeling. The red is overwhelming and the softness of the image plus the noise reminds me more of blood than romance or luxury. Most of all though, the way the entire staircase is at a slight but very noticeable angle gives the whole image an aura of tension as if you've snapped this shot seconds before the entire thing crashed to the ground perhaps killing an ex-pumpkin farmer with his pockets stuffed with cash as he exits the bank below.

Laurenz Bobke (Fog in the Park) - I'm far more interested in the building than the foreground willow branches but I could live with them if only there wasn't that defective branch on the left. I don't mind nature's defects (of which I am one) but the fog gives the image a muted softness which is ruined for my by the dark line of the branch where the leaves have been stripped off by teenage lovers struggling for balance while experimenting with chapter 17 of the Kama Sutra the night before.

Rich Mason (Handy the Clever) - The coolest cat shot I've ever seen. Love the teeth detail, the angled crop and the way the whiskers curl up. This image reminds me of photos of Salvador Dali.

Elson T. Elizaga (You talking to me?) - Another very cool animal shot. How many times have I been on the wrong end of that stare? Even my kids when they were 6 months old used to give me the old "I'm so disappointed in you" glare.

Good gallery in my opinion. Thank you faceless, nameless gallery drones for another excellent job. Oh by the way I was looking on the RIT web cam and I noticed there's some bird crap on Andy's Beamer. Someone better get out there and lick that off pronto before he gets back from his weekly pedicure over in the cosmetology building.

Greg Fraser
Supreme Master of Funk
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg

lea murphy