Re: here's one for the consipacy theorists! Not

Don Roberts <droberts@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Even though I agree with many of the political and philosophical
> statements being bandied about here, I hate to see us taking advantage
> of Andy's absence so blatantly.  Let's have a photo list again for a
> while.

Yes.  I've stopped, myself.  (Unless you count the history of Usenet
contribution yesterday; that's off-topic, but not as dangerously
political IMHO).

> Along those lines, I see Kodak is currently earning more money
> from their digital products than the film based products.  They also
> posted a one BILLION dollar loss the last quarter.  Speculation on
> their future anyone?  Is Fuji in the same boat?  Will there be large
> scale transfers of photo dominance to electronics companies?  What do
> you all think?

Seems to me that companies haven't, in general, done very well
surviving really great technological changes in their industry.  On
that basis, Fuji and Kodak could be in trouble.

On the other hand, that same argument seems to apply to Nikon and
Canon, which aren't particularly in trouble that I can see.  And Fuji
and Kodak are both big players in various parts of the digital market.
I'm disappointed and worried that Kodak has pulled back from the
serious part of the digital market, though, after being nearly the
only player for quite a while early on.

And if they go, somebody else will come along, probably out of left
field by surprise.