Re: Dark Images

And then again - if there's a problem of getting full PS, then download GIMP 2.2 (or what number it was) and use similar resources, but in different menu locations. Both curves and levels and other stuff.

Peeter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: Dark Images

In PE I think it's still possible to use the Curves dialog. It's just much harder to locate than the brightness/contrast one. Try Help. Or try Cmd-C and see if it comes up. I suppose on a PC it's Ctr-C. Keep experimenting.

Curves is much more controllable than b/c. You can pin any place along it to hold that factor steady while you adjust others. With b/c you're pretty much stuck with crude adjustments.

If you can't find Curves, Levels will also give you somewhat more control.

As a final resort try dodging and burning, especially for complicated places like eye sockets. But that's the final step.

The biggest problem with these adjustments in PS/PE is that they always leave your histogram with big combing - places where data is just lost.

That's another wonderful thing about RAW. When you do all those adjustments in the RAW dialog, you don't end up with a combed histogram.

As for clipping the ends of the histogram, be careful. It may make the picture look snappier, but it may take something out that you want. For instance, last night I was shooting the moonrise over a harbor, and it was pretty foggy. The wind has been howling here for a week and the surf has been blown all over everything making lots of moisture in the air, not to mention the deluges we've had falling out of the sky.

Clipping the dark end of the histogram cleared all that out. But it was no longer the foggy moonrise over the harbor. It was now a clear moonrise over the harbor.

Useful when you've gotten mist on the lens but not necessarily what you saw or wanted to record.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx