Re: file share vs tape as gift

From: "Bob Maxey" <
written_by@xxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<
photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: file share vs tape as gift

>>>What is the difference between file share and making a tape of your favorite music and giving it to your friend as a gift? You're not making money that belongs to the originator. No, I'm not dumb. Just looking for some comments.>>>

For the record, I DID NOT post the above. I commented on it. A minor issue to be sure, but please watch how you quote others. (Smiley)

>>>the year Napster came online, record companies experienced the highest sales increase *in history*, not that they liked that information put around. Since then they've seen a gradual decline, but it still hasn't dropped to the level of pre-napster days..>>>

I do not know that to be true, so I will take your word on the figures. It would not surprise me, however. Much of what we read on the net or see on cable TV is laughably incorrect, if we dig deep for the truth.

>>>much like radio - people hear music, people BUY music and although the execs wanted to put the massive sales down to their skill, it was largely due to napster and other P2P programs. I know many people who've downloaded music they've never heard before on a whim - especially stuff that gets no airplay and then gone out and bought the album.>>>

At one time, I would buy import CDs. Usually because friends recommended them. Big mistake to be sure. Some were thirty dollar plus CDs and not worth the time. A DL makes it possible to find great music and all but lost gems that do not get airplay. Not to mention, sampling a few tracks often proves that the clips one hears is about the only good part of the CD.

>>>Filesharing music has also proved a very effective way for unsigned bands to get heard, and even signed bands still choose to put free clips on the web for folks to download.>>>

I agree. In the old days, it took skill, time, and money to produce a tape and it was bloody hard to distribute it to the masses. Lots of great music out there and if it were not for the web, we would not discover it.

>>>who loses?>>>

Still up for debate. What I do know for a fact is this: large file share services make it possible to DL tens of thousands of songs and if not held in check, they can do damage. My guess is it will get worse. Some MP3 players can hold vast numbers of songs and some people will want to fill them up. So the problem might become worse.

Those on this very list (and others) that see no problems with MP3 file sharing will definitely not fee the same way if their digital images were shared.

>>>the record companies don't, the artists don't, the customers don't. Local libries are plentiful here in Oz, all paid or by local taxes. Bookshops do a roaring trade in books. All the willing reader has to do is go down the road to any public library and they could have the book for free, but hey - they want to own it.>>>

Absolutely correct. In fact, I sometimes use the SLC Inter-library loan program to get almost anything I want to read. I am certainly pleased that libraries do not need to charge the user a per copy read fee or some other additional payment arrangement to cover royalties that lost when a patron reads the book for free rather than visit B&N, Amazon, or the like. However, I am not free to copy entire volumes.

Bob