Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

On 10/12/05 8:17 PM, "Terry" <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Lawrence
>
> Thanks for your comments, when I say custom white balance I mean a custom
> white balance in the camera each time the light changes I photograph a white
> card, similar to the gretag-mcbeth but with only pure black, 18% gray, and
> pure white, I shoot the white portion and use that to let the camera make
> its own custom white balance

Terry,

I understand what you are doing. Hence the:

"Creating a
custom WB is a great way to go provided that your RAW converter can actually
utilize it."

Not all raw converters could/can utilize the custom WB data created by doing
this.  Some would just toss it out and use some default value instead. Most
converters can now correctly support that functionality.  I do it (use
custom WB) all the time myself.  I have been known to stick a piece of white
toilet tissue between two Qflash diffusers and use that to do custom white
balances.  It works surprisingly well.  My comment about the gretag was to
illustrate an alternate approach.

Lawrence

Lawrence Smith Photography
http://www.lwsphoto.com