news stand

Hi PF'rs,

Browsing the periodicals I?ve found some related articles of interest
and perhaps worthy of discussion here.

First, go to the October Popular Science and look at the article about
digitally faked photos.
See if you can guess the fakes.  There is some interesting info about
authenticating images.

Next go to the August Discover magazine and look in ?Emerging
Technology? section for ?Total Recall.? by Steven Johnson.
He looks at the way photo blogs and phone cams influence how we use and
think of images.
It seems that virtually free imaging and unlimited memory have given
rise to new modes of expression and recall.
 The ?total recall? aspect of the piece has to do with the notion of
so-called photographic memory and photographic truth.

My first thought about impulsive image note-taking is that it is the
same as verbalizing everything that
passes in front of your eyes.  People with dementia do this as a way to
connect with their  confusing and
unmanageable world. Often they say out loud text - reading  every sign.

Aren?t  text and signs two key  elements of  Post-modernism!

This from another article - only a very few synapses are needed to store
images.
The  verbal brain interpolates and ?writes?  the rest of the memory.
Pictures need a  thousand words?

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/

http://www.discover.com/issues/aug-05/

http://psychologytoday.webmd.com/content/article/107/108656.htm

Or Google ?celebrity photos help researchers study brain?

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 4th ed.
Now an E-book.