Re: Looking for Medium Format Camera

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Glorieux"

: Considering your tight budget, what might be best for you is to get a
good
: vintage medium-format camera on eBay.
:
: What kind of camera format are you looking for?  6x6, 6x4.5 or 6x9?
<clip>
: You could also try to look for a good folding camera.  At the top of your
: price range, look for cameras such as a Voightlander Bessa or a Zeiss
Ikon
: Ikonta.  Down the price line, you could get a good Franka Solida or
Franka
: Rolfix (6x9) and still have plenty of money to buy film.  I've got a
Rolfix
: myself and it works wonderfully.

good advice here!

I have at the bottom end of my MF kit(s) a mamiya C3 - no great difference
from any of the later versions other than you have to manually cock the
lens.  Nice too if you decide to get a later version, you'll already have a
lens or two :)

I had a polaroid 600SE but sold it on to a former blad owner who LOVED the
rangefinder capabilities, these along with the mamiya press cameras all
sell reasonably cheap and offer a good camera with nice lenses.

I also have and use often an ensign 'autorange' 645/66 folding camera.
good lens, variable format, small and very compact.  Moskva are a russian
maker of multiformat MF cameras and a student bought a nice 66/69 from an
ebay seller some time back brand new for very little - the images were
beautiful!

there's lots of very good, very cheap 'old' medium format cameras kicking
about the world that are perfectly serviceable and take perfectly good
pictures if you're not to proud to endure to snorts of derision from those
offended by black leatherette