my humble opinion of the PF Exhibits on 03 SEP 05

Hi all,
Been lurking in the wings, but here is my review of this week's gallery.
Hope I don't offend... it's all my first impression... pure instinct - like my photography.
Anyway, use your delete button if you don't like it!

R. Blakely - Shared Cake Is Great Cake!
Rubin F. Diehl - Colors

Sorry, I'm throwing those two photos in the same pot, but the same comment applies -
They are fine shots which both give me the chance to share a good moment in the lives of other human beings.  Both are technically adequate, but their ability to give you a sense of the moment is outstanding.  You guys made me feel good and smile!  What better reason for a photo?

Tim Mulholland - Before/After
One of those ideas I wished I had had.  I know sooner or later I will copy it... and you know the old saying about that.
You speak of lighting problems - the left side is softer and I like it better, I find the right side with baby a little too bright in the belly and the baby's thigh.
All in all - you have every reason to be proud of all three of them... wife, baby and photo!
Congrats!

Dave Van Verst - Carolyn
Love the texture and color of the trees in the foreground - the ones in the back frame the subject nicely and draw the eye to the adorable subjects face.... made me almost forget about the sky in the upper left quadrant, which could be a little darker.

jIMMY Harris - Me and my PENTAX
I'd like this better if the focus would be either on the face or the PENTAX, or both.  Is it just me or is the focus on the hand and arm which holds the camera?
You reversed this mirror shot at one time or another... not sure that was a good idea.

Jim Davis - Two Kinds of Fishers
Another great idea!  Yet, something isn't really working for me in this photo.  Been mulling it over ...  it's a the different color tones- the boat is really in a blue light, while the bird has very warm colors.  That kind of makes him look very planted, but that's easily fixed.
Have you thought of using another shot of a boat with the boat facing in the same direction as the bird, one of those boats with nets on each side like wings?

Jeff Spirer - Saw
Here I go - WOW! :-)
The toothed metal, the wet concrete and the red hose... all perfectly working to satisfy my eyes.  The textures and lines all make for great composition.

Don Roberts - Winter Wandering
Don I haven't seen snow in 10 years, but I smell it right now.  Tricky subject - you did it well.  You didn't blow out the highlights and your shadows are just right.  I tend to slightly underexpose mostly white subjects and tweak them up just right.   How did you do this? It's perfect.  Nice composition, too, yeah the little critter ran across, but the big tracks make you forget it.

Herschel Mair -
A lovely dream of a photo.  The fuzziness of the boat against the crispness of the rest of the photo create this feeling for me, so does the color.  Love sharing a dream...

Marilyn Dalrymple - Moon Scape
Oh, shucks, your picture is so small I can't tell what you did.  I can hardly comment on what I cannot see.  It's 1x2" on my screen.  You say you were "playing with Photoshop" - are you keeping notes what filter combinations you used? Great learning tool!

Shyrell Melara - Old Kitchen
Oh, dear!  You blew out the sky completely and your camera has bad problem with purple fringing.  I would have focused way closer on the ragged door with the pink sunlight falling across, get some details and textures going. Sometimes a smaller detail expresses more about a subject than a broad view  of the whole thing.    My favorite painter, Georgia O'Keeffe's gave this advice, and one of the best I ever heard.

Guy Glorieux - Montreal - Mondrian
Yes!  The straight lines are very "Mondrian" - you own a goooood lens! :-)
And the slight haze gives you an airial perspective in the photo - the way the haze accumulates as your eye moves to the back.  Throw in the light of the rising sun and I am reminded of an impressionist painting -  catching the light of the moment - this is very nice.

Well, I hope no one is too ticked off with me, so I won't have to hide and lurk some more.
Just remember this is all very subjective - merely my opinion... and everybody has got one, right?  ;-)

Hope everybody has a good and productive week.

Renate

--
I hate flowers. I paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move. - Georgia O'Keeffe

http://www.imagesbyrenate.com