Gallery Critique of 2005-09-03

> The PhartoForum artiste's art space was relaunched SEP 03 2005.
> masterpieces which are, well, hung on display at
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Where reading about what form a Review should take - and the sometimes
very strong opinions on what should and should not be said about an
image - I always arrive at to the same dilemma.

"Do all authors demand the same style review:
 do all images deserve it?"

This week's gallery is no exception:  some are clearly art, some meant
as art, some artistic, some mere photographic records, some
experimental, some personal, some atmospheric. In reality of course
these are not properties of the images themselves but of the viewer's
own experience, prejudices and expectations.

In an environment where
- the use of phrases equivalent to "wow" is condemned as irrelevant.
- comments on basic technique are considered "art school".
- even the mildest divergence into the author's motivation can earn a
stern rebuke.

What is there left to say?

ART REVIEW
===================
* Jeff Spirer - Saw
Of all the regular contributors to the PhotoForum gallery Jeff jumps
out  to me out as being the artist with a vision.
That does not mean I can always see what he saw but I'm always
confident about the way that I should be trying to look.  Jeff's work
(caveat: at least that aspect of it he chooses to reveal on this
forum) has a distinctive STYLE. By that I don't mean in a mechanical
patternistic sense but in a unique vision. Jeff does not confuse us
with a family snapshot one week, a cute baby the next, then a
landscape, etc etc.

This week's contribution is no exception.
It's a stark, empty image.  Metal and concrete - a mixture of pattern
and discord in harmony.  The subtlety of this shot is not in what's
shown but in what's reflected.  The small area of pale orange top left
is key to it's success. Even the very muted red of the hose serves as
a foil for the trace of  green of concrete. The white diagonal line
somewhat mechanically hits the top left corner (exactly where I would
have placed it)  but, again the hose, cuts it with an essential touch
of asymmetry.

When I look at the saw blade today I immediately see an oval: only
yesterday I read something about "shape constancy" which has
influenced my observation if not perception.

In an "Art School" review I might have come to comment on the slight
softness of the near side of the saw blade -  but I suspect Jeff
already knows that.

* Don Roberts - Winter Wandering
Of all the images in the gallery this week this is the one I would
hang on my wall. It has a barren simplicity that is so often missed.
In my mind's eye I can see the animal meandering up the miniature
valley, stopping here and there to eat what grass pokes through the
snow..  There are almost no distractions to that progression.

Further up the image the simplicity is compromised, but not for me in
a way that spoils the image. Another animal has cut across the snow
diagonally but on reflection this adds a layer of interest.

The snow itself is curious: it's lack of either blue of gold
suggestive of a heavily clouded day and yet the footprints themselves
are intensely white

Tim Mulholland - Before/After
This shot was not the result of the photographer stumbling across a
scene and pointing the camera in the right direction - it was clearly
planned (conceived if you like) in the mind of the artist ... and it
has worked well.

In all "art"  there is an element of originality (in either style,
technique or presentation) that distinguishes it from the work of
someone who can merely follow (copy) the inspiration.

I don't think I've seen another work anything like this ever though
there was one pregnant belly amongst  the Vagabond camera's latent
images I seem to remember.

Rubin F. Diehl - Colors
Where does street photography fit into art?

How can you review such pictures on an "artistic" level.  Presuming
the people in this picture were not paid actors under the direction of
the photographer in essence we are looking at a mere record (albeit an
entertaining one) of real life.

There is skill, knowing when to press the shutter.
There is judgement, in choosing which images to show the outside
world, but is there real creativity?

I like the image: there is a real happy atmosphere.
If I have a problem it's with the text accompanying the image: that
ain't no blond!

Guy Glorieux - Montreal - Mondrian
This is the image that most matched Guy's palette:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/SHD/S595.jpg

or maybe this one
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2EB12BBB

Reading up quickly on "Mondrian" I was struck by this quote:

"Everything in his life was reasoned or calculated. He was a
compulsive neurotic and could never bear to see anything disordered or
untidy. He seemed to suffer acutely, for instance, if a table had not
been laid with perfect symmetry."

How I feel for the poor chap: the quest, obsession, for such patterns
in life/art is a handicap not a gift!!!

Anyway, to Guy's image.
It's shown quite desaturated (trembling as I realise that might be
considered a "structural" comment).  But the lack of saturation can
also bee seen to bring out the atmosphere (haze).  Guy resisted the
obvious temptation to "enhance", and therefore "kill" the image by
auto-levels in PhotoShop.

What I  "see" in this picture is the blandness, the depersonalisation,
of modern cities and city life.  There's no hint of warmth, just a
seemingly random hotch-potch of pieces.  People, if they have any part
in such a scene, are not central to it.  They are tolerated by the
concrete and steel - the machine - rather than being it's master.

I didn't know much about Mondrian:
This applet
http://www4.vc-net.ne.jp/~klivo/soft/mondrian.htm
seemed to produce some images within half a dozen tries that could
easily have appeared amongst the real ones revealed by a google image
search.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=mondrian

Herschel Mair -

A classic theme that will evoke a certain kind of calm in the heart of
anyone who has continued to watch the sea long after the sunset.

As with Don's image, it's success is in it's simplicity. I'm not
required to analyse all the complex facets of a busy image but instead
bring my memories and experiences to fill n the gaps.  I'd love to be
there - indeed, I have in a way many times after long busy days at
sea.  I can hear the gentle lapping of the tiny wavelets on the beach.
I can hear the distant "chug-chug-chug" of a small fishing boat
returning to harbour.

But by his own admission Hershel straightened the image. Mondrain
(again) had no qualms about portraying an off-level horizon:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/mer/1702.jpg

ART SCHOOL REVIEWS
=====================
These are the images that would have received comments had I felt
comfortable enough to stray into the realm of technique and
presentation. For all of them I find myself seeing just the  pictures
and how /what they are physically - rather than what they represent /
any deeper meaning.

Since such comments are unwelcome, I'll have to pass this week.

Dave Van Verst - Carolyn
 jIMMY Harris - Me and my PENTAX
Jim Davis - Two Kinds of Fishers
Marilyn Dalrymple - Moon Scape
Shyrell Melara - Old Kitchen

> There are 4 photographs (by Elizaga, Ferguson, Leigh and
> Talbot) awaiting future installation. New ones are still
> expected with eager anticipation!.
That is good news - things are better if you have to wait
But it also means that there have been no new submissions for several
days - mine I posted on the 28th.

> Note that the photographs are installed in the exhibit
> in the order in which they arrive and not based on
> some qualitative criterion.
It's amazing then how often similar photos arrive together then
- two smiling couples
- two monochromes

Bob

PS: I'm happy with any comments on my images from anybody. As a
photographer all I ask is honest feedback.  "Beggars cannot be
choosers" as they say.