Re: Dan's image in the Gallery

At 6:30 PM -0500 8/29/05, lea murphy wrote:
I can't confirm but I'm going to guess that I'm about the only woman on the list (besides maybe Emily) who will or has commented on this image.

One person has written that it appears the young woman in the image is relieving herself. As a woman who has had to, on occassion, make a deposit of one form or another in the great outdoors sans a toilet let me assure you that this in NOT EVEN CLOSE to the position we assume when such duty is to be done. The backs of legs and feet would be a mess. I would welcome looking this beautiful and graceful while relieving myself!!!

I'll toast to that.  Trying keeping your pants legs clean in that position!

My first thought when I saw this image was how pensive and serene this woman appeared to be. I was instantly curious about what she seems to be looking at. I think the backlighting is gorgeous and the tonal range delightful. I love the little hairs on her left arm and then down the side of her hip/bum on the right side.

I was struck by the widthwise proportion of her head to her bum, wondering how much deprivation one has to impose to maintain such a ratio. Many will recall that I'm not big on nudes because of objectivization issues with men and the female body, but this image did not even really strike me as a "nude", since neither her posture nor the amount of exposure looks particularly erotic in intent. And the tonalities are very appealing - keeping the face well exposed with that much light from behind is a good deal.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/