Re: film processing chemicals

From: "Marilyn"

: Here in the southern California desert cold water coming from the tap is
sometimes 85 degrees.   This is hot for processing black and white film and
the times/temperatures on the back of the chemical bottles only go up to
the temperature of  75 degrees.   Is there a formula for figuring
adjustments for processing film in warmer water?   I can cool water down by
adding cold water from a water cooler, but I need such large amounts of
water to process film, that this becomes difficult.

I know the feeling - that's our summertime water temperature too ;-)

The developing temperature is the MOST critical, so as long as you can
waterbath the dev tank then you'll be fine.  Stop and fix can be ata
ambient temperatures - they'll just work a little quicker, and the wash
water can be anything really..

With older films with very thick emulsions, high temperature or rather,
wild variations in temperature DID cause the dreaded reticulation but
that's not something I've seen in the many thousands of films processed
under such conditions at the college or here at home for many, many years.

Best bet to confirm this for yourself is to bang off a short test roll,
develop with chilled water and complete the process at ambient and have a
*really* good look at the negs to see if there are signs of reticulation.
If not then your problem might be gone.

You *can* compensate for raised temperatures by abreviating dev times or
diluting more, but if you're going down that path I'd reccomend Rodinal for
it's smooth tonal gradation at high dilutions rather than other devs at
shorter times.  Shorter dev times can lead to uneven development, something
you really don't want, and if you are using the new TMax film with the
extremely thin emulsions and very short normal developing times, you're
asking for trouble

hope this helps