Re: 6th August Gallery - comments

Greetings from Norfolk

Due to the season, and visits by friends I have been somewhat in-active for a period, but time is now beginning to be available, so

Comments on the 6th August gallery

              Emily L. Ferguson - Nautor Swan 45 in Narragansett Bay
A cracking action shot, presumably taken from a vessel following.  The effect of the spray is great, and the near reflections from the hull are nice.
Although the picture is somewhat split into two by the line of bodies and the boom of the boat, it only slightly detracts.
I should love to see this picture (if it had been taken this way) projected as a slide onto a big screen, I think it would realy come to life and sparkle.

              Bob Talbot - Outhouse
This strikes me as a beautifully taken record shot, the detail of the building is so clear and sharp.
The area to the right of the building is also very nicely rendered, and is not 'ugly' or poor in any way, but what relevance does it have to the PICTURE of the building, only showing that it was somewhat isolated.

              Jim Davis - Surf Casting Lesson
Another excelent action shot, not of the same type as  'Nautor Swan 45 in Narragansett Bay', but very much an action shot.
The positioning of the figures and the rod is very dramatic, and the use of the shingle? surf? to cut off the unnecessary detail of the figures below the waist emphasizes the action, which is all taking pace in the bodies and arms of the two participants.
I hope a copy of the picture was offered to the participants (if found) I am suyre they would like it.

              Howard Leigh - Exhausted
A very strong image, with feelings of star wars and Darth Vader (hope I spelled it correctly).  The lack of total symetry, due to the other bike on the right hand side is different, but I think removal of this would make the picture stronger.  It is the type of picture that would be very atractive to keen motor-cyclists, and similar, but I would not want it on my wall.
Exposure was good, and the overall technical quality is excelent.  Composition is strong, but not fully my cup of tea.

              Jim Snarski - Fledgling
A very nice study of a fledgling, technically very good.  The picture is nice, and was obviously not easy to take without disturbing the brood too much.
It is the sort of picture taken by many nature photographers, but this does not detract from this one.  The composition and exposure are obviously very good, and I like the above centre position of the birds beak, giving emphasis to the obvious young age of the bird.
 The background is well muted, and the foreground not too cluttered to distract.
Overall a very competant study.

              Christopher Strevens - Beggar Girl
This picture is totally spoiled for me by the post exposure work which has been carried out It would probably have been a good or very good portrait if this had not been done.
A good picture spoiled

              Andrew Davidhazy - Relief
A fascinating picture - I have tried various rotations of 90 deg. on it and it is surprising what the effects are.  I am also trying out other procedures - negative image, posterizeing etc - so far not any worthwile image.
A very interesting picture

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.