Re: 6th August Gallery Thoughts

At 4:25 PM +0100 8/6/05, howard wrote:
No crits? Here's my twopennorth

Emily - Nautor Swan 45
Fascinating to me because of the apparent nonchalance of the people sitting on the edge of the boat - unconcerned, unaware even? of the Dev0cean's strong tilt to the left.And the 3 inside the boat seem almost as disconnected from what appears to a powerful yachting action!

Tilt! Heel is the official word! Regarded as optimal for this tack. Some boats sail best flat,some sail best with less hull in contact with the water. Crew very aware, they must counterbalance the rake with their weight. Skipper and navigator watching from the farthest corner up the starboard side for the moments to adjust for more speed - so their weight is also in line with the crew. The poor jib trimmer is the one stuck crounching on the port side getting his feet wet.

from Talbot

 >Emily L. Ferguson - Nautor Swan 45 in Narragansett Bay
Possibly the best action shot I remember seeing by Emily.  I really
get the impression we're right up behind this yacht at speed.

Not at speed. That's the spray, from my photo boat, across the hull of DeVoe's boat since we're rushing off to the next mark.

If I could change anything I'd like a bit more room on the right and
I'd have preferred the blue objects on shore to be less visually
prominent (easy to do these days).

Those are differences between me and the pro who was shooting right next to me there. Daniel would have noticed the blue tarp on the Whaler on shore and given the bow a bit more space. I was just in a hurry to get the shot before it vanished. We were moving pretty fast and going to overtake Devocean in only a few moments.

Darned good shot though

Thanks.  I keep working at this.

--
Emily L. Ferguson