Re: Steerage: was "Re: PF Exhibits on 16 JUL 05" by Per

<OK, to me the connection was just the use of lots of more or less
incidental lines to build a structure.  In Bob´s case, they are
mainly diagonals, while Stieglitz used them to split the image plane
into fragments.  In either case, the structure may not be apparent to
a casual viewer, and possibly not even to the photographer himself at
the time, but possibly it was a subconscious part of what made Bob>

Ah ... yes, in that sense you have it in one.

"Incidental lines" as you accurately describe them are something I
always relate to in a scene.  But then again, for me I believe the
background of a picture is at least half of its success.  Something in
seemingly disorganised patterns registers and - possibly as in this
case - is often what makes me take a shot that in other settings I
would pass by.  Maybe its finding some order there I find the
challenge - sometimes I even forget what most people would consider as
"the subject".

Repeating  David's advice to "get closer".  I understand that but,
cropping in, for me the picture disappears.  It becomes just a bloke
reading a paper: last year's paper at that.  I didn't expect many to
like it as is - I put it in the gallery to see if I was the only one.
But the chairs, the white lines of the building and even the yellow
"you are on CCTV" sign (*) in the background were part of the image I
saw.  The latter (the sign) I could have easily cloned out but it's
part of the absurd clutter of life.

Thanks again for looking and thanks for pointing me to Steerage.

Bob

(*)  Is it only in the UK you have to warn crooks that they are being
recorded on camera?  It's bizarre.