Re: Danger of Encoded data: wasThe old Raw vs JPEG:

>>>Bob, What are you smoking?>>>

I do not know what you mean. Can you please clarify? I did not say this, "I have had experience only with the 100 MB Zip drives. I still use an external Zip to trade files with my wife and the place I used to work. What happened for me was that all of the Zip drives that were installed internally failed within a year. You got the dreaded "click of death" and the drive was junk and your disk was corrupted. I have used a number of external Zip drives and have never had one fail. I am not currently doing industrial strength usage but they get frequent work. My understanding was that they were very sensitive to heat buildup and that is why the internal ones failed but the external drives had better performance record. Just my experience. I wouldn't indict or recommend but mine are still quicker than burning a disk."

I did say this, "We (I) always used external Zip drives. I have installed test software at work perhaps a thousand times and never a failure. These days, I am thinking I will simply buy a few large hard drives and forget the CDs, Zip, this, and that. Just a minimum Win 95 install, some very basic software; no MP3 files, video, games, IE, and the like. Perhaps I will go back to DOS and my DOS version of MS Word.

By the way, have you used the "Click" Drives? Anyone remember those? I love those devices because they are (were, at the time) quite cool. I still have my drive and it still works. I think

I recently found my old Syquest drive in storage and it was interesting to rediscover some very old files. Stuff I forgot I had lost forever. Like the articles on the Windows for Workgroups Resource Kit articles I wrote and never submitted.

Now that I have "upgraded" to Win 3.1 running on a 486 laptop, I think I shall read the articles and learn something. Again."

So what do you find so curious? Perhaps you are smoking something a little stronger?

Bob

..