Re: Danger of Encoded data: wasThe old Raw vs JPEG:

The issue was how you used the Jaz disks. They were sold with the advertisement that the could be used as hard drive but no where did Iomega ever state that they were incompatible with windows operating system with regards to disk copying. This is where all the problems start. It was the secret partition on the disks that allocated the sectors that made the problem. Iomega built more than 1 gig of sectors in each disk and then had the program in the secret partition would pick out only good sectors so there would never be any bad sectors during a disk check. I still have ten 1 gig disks that if I could wipe clean would sell but both Jaz drives I still have are broken. I even have a low gig Maxtor drive that I copied the files from the Jaz disks to that has a partition that I never been able to format away. Even a low format under DOS could remove the partition. Incompatibility in certain areas is what made the Jaz disks defective and then the drives broke down as they couldn't completely read the disk and kept searching and spinning erratically until the drive broke.