Re: Danger of Encoded data: wasThe old Raw vs JPEG:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:13:12 +0800, karl shah-jenner
<shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>Sorry to those who've had nothing but success with zips, and good luck to
>you too - I'm pleased you didn't suffer the pains I have with the damned
>things!

Zip drives were the best thing Iomega made.

It's the Jaz and Ditto drives that were real crap.

I had a 2 gig Ditto tape drive that never in its life actually
restored anything properly. Oh sure, you could save a backup on the
very first part of the tape if it was small you might get most of it
back. But for an expensive backup device, the Ditto really had it's
problems. There must have been some very frustrated sys admins who
spent hours trying to get a backup off one of those things.

The Jaz drive was OK when it worked. The trouble was they broke down
way too often.

But, the biggest problem with Iomega was the support was non existant.
You paid a fortune for a Jaz drive and when it broke the first week,
they basically said tough luck. This is what happened to our CAD guy
where i worked. The drive was supposed to work like a normal HD but
was really only meant for taking large image files to the printer.
When the discs were new they could sometimes fulfill this function.
Most people took two discs to make sure one was readable...

Iomega did well for themselves because they basically had little
competition. I wonder what happened to them, as I have not heard of
them since the Jaz era. Little wonder to me, and good riddance.

One thing I know for sure. I will never buy anything with the name
Iomega on it. If they are smart they have changed their name.