Re: Danger of Encoded data: wasThe old Raw vs JPEG:

: Gregory was not the only "lucky one". My employer (a large utility),
several
: people I know, and I have had good use of our 100Mb Zip drives.

I know one or two people who were in this category too!

just did a quick google search for a giggle

'hate iomega' - it found roughly 84,300 posts
then 'hate zip disks' found 95,300

did a search for 'hate superdisks' got me 464 and the first one was along
the lines of 'yeah I hate zips too so I changed to superdisks..'

I confess to having loved zips and accepting the failures must have been
mine until I discovered superdisks late in the game.. just before
obsolescence  rendered the whole thing a mute point (thank you dvd ram :-)
Imation never did spend the $$ promoting superdisks the way Iomega promoted
zips, so it's no surprise they weren't as familiar to us all.  Even Apple
who whacked superdisks in the high end machines found few buyers for the
'added extra' as few knew what a superdisk actually was and figured they
were paying for an overpriced floppy!  Superdisks were actually optical,
they had the magnetic head in there too so they could read the floppy disks
which also fit in the same drive. One of the coolest things is that they
could format floppies to WAY past their original size :-)

At the college we averaged roughly 120 stuffed zip drives a year, though in
*one day* we lost 35!  A student with a damaged disk couldn't get it to
read so he went from one machine to another not realising the damaged disk
was tearing the heads off each drive.  I've never heard of this happening
with superdisks or even floppies, but apparently zips can do this :-/

We also had 4 superdisks which after 7 or so years of use were eventually
lost to us when the machines were deemed obsolete and disposed of.

The discussion may be deemed silly by some and might ruffle the feathers of
others, but it IS worth noting that many, many people suffered problems
with the zips.  I was told (when studying) zips were the 'standard'  .. no
other discussion was entered.  Myself and other students had spent lots of
$$ on zips and lots of time re-scanning or rewriting stuff that was lost to
them.  I'd have loved to know then what I know now about zips, I could have
saved lots of time and money by approaching them with caution!

Sorry to those who've had nothing but success with zips, and good luck to
you too - I'm pleased you didn't suffer the pains I have with the damned
things!