Re: Danger of Encoded data: wasThe old Raw vs JPEG:

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 07:57:00 -0400 (EDT), PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx
wrote/replied to:

>Encoding private data in DNG format can lead to problems. The Jaz  Drives
>removeable disks had a secret partition on the disks that allocated  the disk to
>always have 1 gig  of good sectors hiding the bad  sectors and allocating some
>good extra sector to take their place. Problem was  if you used the
>removeable disk as a hard drive and copied under the  current  windows operating system
>or mac system the copying process got  confused and put down partial or extra
>partitions. Then when one put the broken  disk in the drive the drive would
>keep spining as it could read the data  correctly. Finally the drive would
>break. I broke four drives like this. I still  have two broken drive, one in my
>old Windows 95 computer and one external one  from my Windows 98 computer and I
>got 10 1gig that I can erase the data off.  Since I keep my pictures backup on
>three sets of hard drives that I copied on a  regular basis I be very wary of
>private data that is encoded in the files that I  couldn't access.

Say no more, Iomega made the worst crap in computer history. Ditto,
Jaz, everything they put out stunk. Is that a word?

Guy at work on CAD station years ago had a Jaz drive. Nothing but
trouble. No support, no help, no replacement, just junk. Big bucks
too. The idea was great, but the implementation, good grief. They must
have been a branch of Creative Labs...

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company
http://easternbeaver.com/