Re: PF Exhibits on 02 JUL 05

Peeter Vissak wrote:
Don,

He makes it every time.
About 10 years ago there were gigantic men reigning in this form of athletic exercise. It was supposed that the man should have the ability to grab the "wife" by any part of body and carry her without questions over whatever obstacles, just as in the Neandertal Era.
Uusorg and some other "new wave" Estonians were slender and quick and the "wives" were even more slender. So slender that they had to confirm the official lower threshold.
Today only that could be a news if Uusorg didn't won. BTW he is coming from Haapsalu - the nearest town to my place. One of my sons happened once to be with him in a same party and told he was quite a piece of work - a really arrogant guy.
Once there were lots of wrestlers and weightlifters in Estonia who were winning highest prizes in Europe (Lurich, Hackenschmidt, Aberg, Kotkas, Talts et al.), now there are several sumo wrestlers, having won medals in European contests. Now that is what I'd like to be proud of.
And about Haapsalu - much more interesting people have come from there. E.g. Ilon Wikland, who is the original illustrator of Astrid Lindgren's books.

Me - I'm not that big sports and parties shooter (I still have some pics of high names though, as seen at http://www.foto.fie.ee/personaalium/index.html).

Rgds,

Peeter

Don Roberts wrote:

Peeter, here would be a situation laden with poignant photos.  Why weren't you there?              Don

Estonians snatch world wife-carrying title again

Peeter, thanks for the explanation.  Americans are known for their ignorance of foreign cultures but I am one who likes to learn the daily details and special things of life everywhere.  We are all so different while being very much alike.  Not too far OT I hope since there was a photo question at the beginning.  Back to normal programming.
Don
   Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
  And the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty,
  but is it Art?".   --  Rudyard Kipling