Cinematograpdy

Cinematography is a very wide field INCLUDING shooting on videotape. But the way video handles colour is different from the way film handles colour. Just like digital cameras do it differently from film in still photography.
So the answer to your question about getting the colour right is simply

Set the white balance for each shot/scene before you roll
That will ensure good colour continuity.
Also good (Obvious) advice is: Shoot the scene at the time of day that it takes place in the screen play. So that it makes sense when you're watching it. The colour balance can be set but the angle of light can not. (Without big lights)
If it's a shot of something happening at noon, then shoot at noon. If it's a late-afternoon shot you can get away with early morning  but the rule is to get your shot list organized so you can do all the shots in the right sequence for time of day.
Always think of the take that came before and the one that's coming after (Continuity)

Herschel

"kpp@xxxxxxxxxx" <kpp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>This is a very general request.
>Are you talking about simply colour balance and lighting?

Anything, the team had problems for color balance, and that was because the shot lasted from 3o'clock to almost sunset and they did not know about the changing light temp...that was mentioned as an example

what i think i need is directions on the differences of setting lighting and picture frame between cinetography and still photography...working on the video camera tech does not scare me at all...

>Are you shooting film or video?
>16mm? 35mm? Panavision?
>Shooting film is very different shooting video. And shooting 16mm is quite a way from handling a 35mm Arriflex on a Miller head.

I am talking amateur video, with amateur videocams...does the differences apply to cinematography too?

Yet my biggest problem will be the dimished artistic viewpoint...The past few years i have moved a bit away for literature, poetry, some thought scribing towarda a much technological lifestyle, and i feel that has its toll on "artistic" thinking (forming ideas, pictures in your mind etc...- hope you are getting what i mean) and that calls for a chnage in lifestyle too...

cheers, ksoats

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!

Herschel Mair