Re: Any math to corelate B&W printing times to print size?

Me again... (Suppose we are in the same time zone, and our American friends are asleep now).

If you are doing this with head height as a variable, it will be more complicated than the inverse square law. The reason is that you change the distance between negative and lens when refocussing, and thus the top angle of the light cone will change too. This effect is negligible when using a camera at normal distances, but when enlarging, you´re within the "closeup" range, and will have to compensate, just as when using closeup tubes or a bellows unit.

I recall from my darkroom days that the error from using the square law was quite observable. What I did was computing the paper surface that should be exposed (assuming identical cropping). So if I had the correct time for a 4 x 5 print, I had to use four times as long for an 8 x 10, since the area is four times greater (but the head height will be less than doubled to get the same cropping).

And then, of course, there is the reciprocity effect.... So, to get the exact exposure I still had to make a new test strip; the "surface rule" was a great help in seeing where I should start testing.

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se