Re: Adjustment Layer/mask for filters in PS?

Yes, I think your solution is the "orthodox" one (at least I´m using it myself), only I wouldn´t "delete regions" in that layer. Use a layer mask instead, and paint with black or white, brush opacity around 25 - 30 %. You´ll get much softer transitions, and you can adjust the effect locally in a way you cannot do with the opacity for the entire layer. Also, if you make a mistake, it is easy to correct with the opposite colour, even if it is buried deep in the history list...

A "quick-and-dirty" way of reducing a filter effect is the "fade" option (under "Edit" if I remember right), where you can reduce the effect or change blending mode, even without using a separate layer. However, this option is available only right after applying the filter.

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se