From: owner-
photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Blake Pearson
Sent: 10 June 2005 16:09
To:
List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: There are two kinds of fools

For a "snapper" digital is "better in every way."

Digital still has a hard time with many of the minute details which make film and hand printing beautiful.  I've shot a d1x and d100 since they came out, along with the Hassleblad H1 system and leaf backs on Sinars.  All of these formats are good for for certain things.  Still, I don't think digital is a replacement for film or hand printing.  Processes which are natural and left, at least some what, to the possibility of slight error are always going to have appeal. I can not tell you how many times, I've made a mistake processing or printing with traditional methods only to think---wow look at that, and then say to myself, "can I do it again." I seem to find, this occurs much less frequently with digital work, and when it does---it doesn't have near the same punch.

There are two kinds of fools: One says, "This is old therefore it is good." The other one says, "This is new therefore it is better." - William R. Inge

My humble regards,

Blake Pearson

Birmingham, AL

On Jun 10, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Qkano wrote:

<<

I gave up my LF dream until I'm done with my PhD, which is only a

couple of weeks away now!!!

I think I'll start with 5x7 and then keep moving ;)

Why bother?

The future is digital.

It's better in every way than film.

The quality achievable with a high end digital SLR is already as good as LF (so they say) and you don't have to buy any film ...

PS: 37 is the number raw files per GB of storage medium :o)

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,