Re: -Lawrence-new samples-

On 6/21/05 12:15 PM, "Shyrell Melara" <shyrellmelara@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Lawrence,
>
> I've been using your advice to photograph the flowers as portraits. Out of
> nearly 300 shots, I've posted a few on the page below.
> Any more tips/advice? Maybe some PS manipulation? It is for an art gallery
> showing.

Shyrell,

Just a thought.  It would seem that your background is a bit too close to
the subject.  You are getting some rather distracting shadows cast due to
the lack of separation.  As for the PS manipulation, I'd avoid it but that¹s
a personal preference.  I'd rather work at getting it to sing 'in camera'.
Again a personal preference is for work that is much less busy.  As general
rule, less is more.  Keep simplifying the  compositions until they only have
those elements necessary to communicate the intent.  Take a look at the
samples I sent.  There is for the most part one single COI.  Have you looked
at any of Joyce Tennesons  or Mapplethorpe flower portraits?  Links below.

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/flowers2.html

http://www.joycetenneson.com/

Lawrence

Lawrence Smith Photography