Re: Phoshop questions

At 2005-06-18, 04:03:06 David Dyer-Bennet (dd-b@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Achal Pashine <achalpashine@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi Bob and everybody,
>> thanks for lots of suggestions.
>> I have put a jpeg quality source shot at
>> http://photos.yahoo.com/achalpashine in the album "for photoforum".
>> The problem area during extraction is the boundary of hair and background,
>> as you can notice the hair of the subject is very curly as well as have
>> delicate hair strands (not very visible in jpeg) that stand against the
>> background. To extract this subject to change the background without
>> loosing hair details (repeating the question for Emily) is a problem.
>
>Hair.  Also tree limbs/leaves, in the other case where I often need to
>do ugly masking like this.  They make an *amazing* amount of trouble.
>
>About the only thing you can do is get a good approximation from the
>automatic tools, and then fine-tune by hand.  For hours.
>--
>David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@xxxxxxxx>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
>RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
>Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
>Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
>
>.

Achal, have you considered that in a practical sense, _nobody_ would remember individual strands of hair? I understand that you can't chop off whole clumps of it, but 'fly-away' strands of hair can probably be masked out without in any meaninful way affecting the portrait.

Best regards,
Deen
2005-06-18 10:00:31