forget the phonecams!

Many years ago a few canny photojournalists and sports photographers here
in Oz were noted for always getting *the* shots - this comes are heresay to
me via my grandfather who was at one point in his life a cinematographer
and always spent time tinkering with 16 and 35mm cine cameras.  Another
photographer of the period also recently told me the same story how these
folks used to sit down at the sporting events and shoot appealing moments
not with a still camera but rather a cine camera, having the film processed
at the end of the event they had many, many more frames to choose from that
the contemporary still photographers and subsequently the newspapers always
looked to these people first for the winning shots.  Admittedly the frames
were teeny and the resolution pretty poor compared to others, but if that
special moment was there on the film it hardly mattered.  Newpaper res is
not that great afterall..

My Grandfather did in fact film many family events with his cine camera,
later pulling frames off and having them enlarged to produce stills for the
family but eventually he gave up that practice and moved into medium
format, choosing to create images rather than capturing events..

I hear today that Japanese electronics giant JVC will release a family of
video cameras with built-in hard drives to the U.S. in August, "a move that
will help usher in the tapeless future for such devices.  The Everio G
cameras will come with a built-in 20GB or 30GB hard drive (unlike earlier
models with removable 4G drives) and will range in price from $800 to
$1,000. Depending on the camera and the shooting mode, the drives can hold
from 4.5 to 37 hours of footage" .. and produce 1.33-megapixel still
images.

I wonder if PJ's will find these useful?

karl