Re: darkroom chemicals

>I haven't used my darkroom in a couple of years, but I used powders
>most typically.  A part of my training is in chemistry, and I prefer
>solids as they'll last longer in storage, 'til I'm ready to use them,
>than liquids (oxidation and other reaction issues while in solution).

Hi Marilyn!
and sorry for being a bit late in replying. Much the same with Tim i received enough chem clsses to be no trouble concerning powders. you just have to be thorough. I used to use Microphen but know i have moved to T-MAx for pushed films.
And with so little B&W film work around these days is questionable if one will use a prepared solution of Microphen before it expires. (unless one is picky in getting the precise X maount for one lot of film then resealing the bag in pro equipement)

Anyway,
My selection of Darkroom Chemicals and Paper is guided by long term availability on the store shelf.
B&W leads a turboulent life these days, so my number one concern is being able to find the same thing constantly.

Here in Greece, Kodak papers are out of the market and Agfa are not prefered much (half the stock in shops is now outdated)
The situation regarding chemicals is better, but even here Ilford leads the way.

So...for the films i use, (APX100, Neopan 100,400,1600, Tri-X)
my choice is Agfa Rodinal for the lower iso, and T-Max for 1600 and above.

Paper is either Pearl or Satine Ilford Multigrade, which is they only one that one can find fresh in large sizes (though I have already bought the one and only pack of 16x20 inches available in the second largest city in Greece!)

paper developers till then came with the club (T-Max RS) and rented-time-lab (Ilford) chemistry . In our own darkroom (probably set up this week, developer with be the former for starters)

Fix in all cases is always IlfoFix, and wetting agent should be Agepon from Agfa

Stop bath for me (for both film and paper) is a straight shot of outdated wine (vinegar)

Wish for? Pushed Neopan always calls for some DDX and the Fuji own's hi-speed developer, but that requires a travel abroad...

So you got the idea...Choose what you are familiar with and can always find.

enjoy, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!