Re: Quiz with no answers - again! - for consideration and FYI

ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Recognizing that although I work at a school where art reign supreme here are
> some question related to DOF for you amusement. I forgot the answers!  :) andy
>
> Quiz 4 - Depth of Field
> This is a quiz related to Depth of Field and Depth of Focus.
>
> Question 2:
>
> Camera lenses can be focused on many object distances at one time.

 False

> Question 3:
>
> Increasing the viewing distance to a print increases the perceived
> depth of field.

 True

> Question 4:
>
> Prints are normally viewed from a distance about equal to their
> diagonals.

 True

As a statement about reality, I haven't done the research to justify
an opinion.  It's not obviously crazy.  I do believe it's part of the
assumption underlying convention DOF calculations, anyway.

> Question 5:
>
> The appropriate viewing distance for a 6x8 inch print made from a
> 35mm negative is 10 inches

True

In line with #4, yes.  Note that the "35mm negative" is irrelevant.

> Question 6:
>
> Enlarging a negative increases the size of the circle of confusion
> proportionally.
>
> True
> False
>
> Question 7:
>
> Depth of field decreases rapidly as the distance between the
> camera and the subject increases.

 False

> Question 8:
>
> Hyperfocal distance is the nearest distance that appears sharp when the camera
> is focused on infinity.

 False

> Question 9:
>
> Unlike pinhole cameras lenses can only focus on one suject plane
> with other planes recorded progresively unsharply

 True

> Question 10:
>
> Depth of field is the range of distances within which objects are
> imaged with acceptable sharpness.

 True

> Question 11:
>
> Depth of field is directly proportional to the Circle of
> confusion.

 True

> Question 12:
>
> Depth of focus is associated with placement of the film with
> respect to the image formed by the lens.

 False

> Question 13:
>
> To maximize depth of field one should focus on 1.2 the hyperfocal
> distance.

 False

> MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS FOLLOW BELOW:
>
> Question 14:
>
> Which of the following is not a tool that a photographer can use
> to change depth of in field in
> photographs?
>
> a: f-number
> b: object distance
> c: focal length
> d: lighting

d.  Except that changing d will often lead to a change in a.  But d
does not *directly* change DOF, and the others do.

> Question 15:
>
> In the workshop the hyperfocal distance for the Tele-Optar at an
> aperture of f/32 was? (in inches)
>
> a: 156
> b: 342
> c: 780
> d: 1528

Sorry, wasn't in the workshop that day :-)

> Question 16:
>
> According to the textbook the permissible circle of confusion on a
> print viewed at a distance of 10 inches is?
>
> a: 1/10 mm
> b: 1/100 inch
> c: 1/170 inch
> d: 1/200 inch

Sorry, don't have the textbook here.

Skipped a couple others here for the same reason.

> Question 19:
>
> In order to make a 6x8 inch print from a 35 mm negative it should
> be enlarged:
>
> a: 2x
> b: 3x
> c: 4x
> d: 6x

d, About 6x.  Was this a DOF question?

> Question 20:
>
> Given any format camera extreme depth of field is associated with:
>
> a: short focal length lenses
> b: normal focal length lenses
> c: long focal length lenses
> d: retrofocus angle lenses

Well, greatest; extreme can mean two different things.

> Question 21:
>
> To obtain the greatest depth of field at a given f# the lens
> should be focused on:
>
> a: infinity
> b: the subject
> c: the hyperfocal distance
> d: 1/2 the hyperfocal distance

> Question 22:
>
> When a lens is focused at the hyperfocal distance depth of field
> extends from:
>
> a: the subject to infinity
> b: the camera lens to infinity
> c: from lens 1/2 way to infinity
> d: 1/2 the hyperfocal distance to infinity

I could easily have been fooled on this one.  I know a, b, and c are
wrong, so I picked d.  But if d had said 1/3 say rather than 1/2, I
wouldn't have known off the top of my head it was wrong.

> Question 23:
>
> Viewed from a 10 inch distance Depth of Field in a contact print
> of a 35mm negative always appears:
>
> a: larger than in an enlargement
> b: the same as in an enlargement
> c: smaller than in an enlargement

b.

> Question 24:
>
> Hyperfocal distance is a function that depends on:
>
> a: Lens focal length, lens aperture and size of Circle of
>    confusion
> b: Object distance, Lens aperture and viewing distance
> c: Lens type, lens aperture and lens focal length
> d: Film format, Circle of Confusion and Lens Focal length

> Question 125:
>
> As the specified Circle of Confusion gets smaller the Hyperfocal
> distance for a given lens and aperture:
>
> a: decreases
> b: remains constant
> c: increases
> d: varies with the film format

> Question 26:
>
> Depth of Focus is particulary applicable to photography of:
>
> a: 2-dimensional subjects
> b: 3-dimensional subjects
> c: inanimate subjects
> d: very deep subjects

d, I suppose.  That's just a special case of b, but it's a case where
DOF matters even more than in the general b.