Re: Announcement about Kodak

On 17 May 2005 at 22:24, Bob Maxey wrote:

> (anyone willing to bet that even within the next 5 years there will
> be a digital equivalent with the same resolution?)>>>
>

> More to it than resolution. Longevity is a big reason Kodachrome such a
> great film. Well, grain and sharpness, too.

Fact remains that there *are* no digi-equivalents for MF swing-lens
camera's (which, not being SLR, have vastly better lenses).

> exactly what I have been pestering MACO about with their IR-films
> too....:)) >>>
>

> Why? You lose quality as you increase speed. Kodachrome 25 is demonstrably
> sharper than Kodachrome 64. I once shot everything on Kodachrome 25 because
> there is a difference.

But I can't take a tripod with me skiing....:))
(Kodak HIE with #87C is an even larger pest, at an effective 12 ASA)

> Add non-existent Chinese environmental regulations for final
> processing, and we might get somewhere....>>>
>

> And you are certain there are no regulation in place? Research again and
> please post proof.

Just look at what generation of automotive emissions they allow in
brand-new plants....all 10-20 years behind on US/EU.

> > I am firmly of the belief that the *reason* for the "lack of demand" for
> > Kodachrome is the lack of promotion, the lack of availability, etc.  In
> > other words, it's been left out to die, so it's been dying.   Give it a
> > shot in the arm, let people know that there's a *will* to keep it going,
> > and they'll line up in droves to buy it and use it.  (Even more, if it's
> > also coated in 120!)
>

> Yet, nobody buys the stiff. Before digital, we sold lots of the stuff. We
> sold very little compared to E6 materials, however. We sold very little 120
> Kodachrome, incidentally. We always sold more print film than slide film.

But: the argument of toxic/carcinogenic waste is mooth, as long as
Kodak still makes at least 1 type/size of Kodachrome.

Same (even) if the last types *only* linger on because Kodak is bound
to some contracts with large/industrial/scientific customers.

> > Would it be necessary to come up with a different *name*?  Would Yellow
> > Father raise a stink over the use of the "Kodachrome" name?
>

> They would be within their absolute rights to object. Again, you assume
> Kodak would allow others to make the stuff. You would need to licence the
> patents in place and that alone will cost lots of money. I just paid a fee
> for the rights to reproduce a Kodak Data Guide from 1943, so I know how they
> work and think.

I doubt any essential Kodachrome patent is younger than 20
years....after which there *is* no patent left.

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand