Re: Looking for digital camera/Free preview of books

At 21:11 16 05 2005, Mosley, Kim wrote:
I'm looking for the best digital camera that is small (fits on a belt), has a minimum delay and is at least 5 mp. Any recommendations?

I bought a SONY DSC-W12 (that's the black version, -W1 is silver) a few months ago. It's 92x63x38mm including all the "bumps", about 250g (ready to take photos, including wrist strap), fits in a "Crumpler John Thursday 70" bag (which has a clever double velcro to attach to a belt), about 310g total of W12 in this bag, 5MP, 38-114mm (35mm equivalent) f2.8-5.2 lens, and does start up very quickly. It uses two AA cells, I use NiMH and they seem to last for quite a while. Disadvantage: it uses "memory stick" which is more expensive than "compact flash". I'm using a 512MB "SanDisk ultra II", which was better value than the Sony-brand memory stick.

I bought the W12 for occasions when my Pentax *istD was a bit large, or bulky -- mainly when I'm off on a fire call. The W12 will fit in my turn-out coat pocket, and allows me to capture images when there are small lulls.

I'm actually quite pleased with my purchase, and have some degree of manual control.

Here is a table outlining specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscw1.asp

There's now a W5 released (still 5MP), and a W7 which is 7MP.

&i (: