Re: saving jpegs in another format?

At 12:42 AM 5/14/2005, you wrote:

It looks like if the JPGs are created _carefully_, then the loss of information is minimised. With a blunt instrument, the results do suffer.

&i (:

Your test pretty much coincides with my own and confirms what I have observed for ten years or more. The bottom line is JPEG compression/decompression/compression cycles using ratios of six to one or less are
not observably damiging to image files.

Granted there is no longer any reason to use JPEG files for storage but that does not make the thousands JPEG files from ten years ago or older worthless. I can routinely open old flatbed scanned 300dpi JPEG files, upsize them using Lanczos 8x8, remove noise and/or grain with Imagenomic's Noiseware Community Edition program, and in five minutes be printing quite nice 11X14-inch images.

Dave
East Englewood
The proof is in the prints.