Re: PF Exhibits on 14 MAY 2005

Julian <rev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>      Call this an un-scientific survey but, after reading this list
> for a few weeks now and seeing all of these posts about clogging
> printers, RIP software issues, format questions, questions/problems
> with digital cameras, lenses, flashes, other software issues (iPhoto,
> iCatalogue'em,  iWonderwhy) , etc., wouldn't it be easier and less
> costly if everyone went back to film?

Nope.  I couldn't possibly have afforded half the photography I've
done in the last 5 years on film -- including the cost of buying two
digital cameras in that comparison.

> No, you don't have to respond to this. The real question I ask myself
> is why we're so quick to embrace the latest technology without much
> examination.

What makes you think people -- let's talk about me, since I'm the only
one whose history I know in any detail -- embraced digital quickly and
without much examination?

In my case, I started experimenting with having film images put onto
Photo CD somewhere back in 1994 or 95.  I displayed some of my images
on the web, and started learning slowly about digital editing.  Then I
got a color printer, and discovered it did much better on photos than
I expected.  Then I got a film scanner and a better printer, and then
a bigger printer.  In 2000, after 5 or so years of working
"semi-digitally", I got my first digital camera.  After nearly three
years of working with that, I got my current digital camera.  During
this period, I've been in communication with people on Photoforum, the
Usenet photography newsgroups, the old Leben list for inkjet printers,
photo.net, and probably other places I'm forgetting, reading about the
experience of thousands of people trying to use their equipment to
make the images they want.

That does not, to me, look anything like what I'd mean by either
"quickly" or "without much examination".