Re: cataloging and retrival of images..suggestions wanted

> sorry - you'll need the advice of the Mac users for that answer.
Many of
> my customers have swung to PC's for the plethora of programs
available to
> do tasks ..the Mac software writers don't seem to be keeping up in
that
> regard

Karl

It's simply the economics of scale, and the fact that most amateur
dabblers use PCs.

The plethora of excellent freeware for the PC (often better
functionality at the price of a less glossy GUI) is testimony to many
things.  For all the (my) bitching about M$ their API is fairly well
documented and the tools are widely available.  For instance, VBA
(part of Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is perfectly adequate to extract
meta-information from TIFFs.  Heck, it's a cinch to do basic image
processing/analysis straight from a spreadsheet.

Some of this only works with PCs (API calls needed) but most of  it
should work equally well on a Mac.

The biggest threat to freeware is data encryption (read "Protection
racket").  Technically it could be illegal to reverse engineer
encryption schemes.  This brings two sources of un-earned cash for the
manufacturers:
1) You are forced to use their bloated, overpriced inefficient
software
2) You are forced to pay a licence to use the SDK to decode the
information that didn't need encrypting in the first place.

Either way: you lose and they win.

Bob