Re: Best technical text on photography.

> Karl:

> The only copy of "Photography Theory and Practice" by Clerc I found
was in
> Amazon's used books section and the copy was printed in 1937.

Joseph

If you want to really learn about photography (most of the laws of
physics have not changed since 1937) then perversely the older the
text, the more detail (and factual information) you get.

I'm with Karl: Clerc is a book I wouldn't be without - anymore than I
would send back my Foley et al, Computer Graphics, Principles and
Practice.
There really is useful stuff in it - as long as your mind can cope
with the world pre-dumbing down :o)

More up to date?  Well, digital cameras (aka analogue electronic
devices :) of course were not around in 1937 for sure.  But then
again, some manufacturers these days would have you believe the only
knowledge you need is

1) point the camera in the right direction (optional)
2) rely on auto (exposure, focus and white balance)
3) download all the pictures to a web site and let others decide which
are worth looking at :o)

Bob