RE: photography

Achal, you don't have the option of compressing or not compressing RAW files. They are compressed automatically and it is a lossless compression. Like a .ZIP file, nothing is thrown away but the output file is smaller.

Greg
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Achal Pashine
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:01 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: photography

Emily,
I have never seen an option of compressing a raw image in my canon 10D, thus can not understand what you mean by "raw is a compression too". Is it a "jpeg-like" downsampling of the original data or just a bit depth differences of say 16 bit image vesus 8 bit?
will try to google but it will be helpful to know the technical details of what it means and what are the logics applied in compression of raw files.
thanks,
achal