Re: Photo forum

>So folks, if you ask, I will tell you what I think. Remember, you asked.

>>>Interesting, this concern for making people mad.  Given how many
different ways there are to say something, it should be possible to
critique without evoking rage.  And we're not talking about a big
deal here.  It's just a weekly gallery, not a portfolio critique to
get into grad school or into a job.>>>

Making people mad is never on my agenda. On this list or the other lists I read. I never hurt people on purpose. I am never overtly cruel. But . . . if you ask me for an honest opinion, I will tell you exactly what I think. Frankly, people should not participate on a mailing list if honest opinions upset them. There must be a place for all people and their varied opinions, palatable or sour.

Granted, there are ways to tell people they are bad photographers without using bad language. But, when someone asks, I will tell them what I think. It is not my problem if they get mad and whine; I am doing exactly what they want.

I see this happen on many writers mailing lists. It is a common problem on every list, by the way. Someone will post writing filled with spelling errors or fundamental mistakes and I often comment. Spelling errors on a list aimed at professional freelance writers are inexcusable. Some people still get mad for an honest comment and opinion.

A recent poem comes to mind. The poet said something like "Amber, birthed in the fiery bowels of the earth ...." I commented that amber is not "birthed in the bowels of the earth;" fire has nothing to do with how amber forms. It is a fossilized sap and resins. The "poet" got mad. Someone else also got mad and they commented on my critique and a flame war started over nothing worth fighting over. So, I keep my comments to myself, unless I see (or read) something so absurd, I cannot remain silent.

When I read absurd advice offered by new writers, I comment. Some of these people hold themselves out to be professionals, and it is clear that they are most certainly not professional writers. Just hacks parroting some bad advice they learned from other future failures.

I am currently going through a "discussion" about polarizers for use in black and white photography. Few people seem to know anything about the filter but they comment anyway. They cannot stand that the new guy (me) would dare to suggest the list god's are incorrect. They cannot stand it when someone like me (who is writing a book about polarizers) might actually know more than those on the list. Gosh, Bob ... what a boast!

What often happens is folks with knowledge and useful opinions, although gruff, could be accurate and they indeed have a valid critique. The end result is some valuable folks leave the list because they have better things to do than argue and fight with nincompoops (sp?) that will not listen.

You said, "And we're not talking about a big deal here  It's just a weekly gallery, not a portfolio critique to get into grad school or into a job." I wonder about this. Granted, my concern likely stems from paranoia, but Google is frequently used to check up on a potential hire. I often Google other writers to see what they say elsewhere Try Googling my name and see some of the stuff that spews from my keyboard.

Who knows who will read or words or see our images while in the process of making a decision about hiring us. Paranoia filter off.

Bob