Re: Tech vs Image

Well, all the original Group f64, living in the 1960's looked forward to the electronic, computer aided photography.

Steve Shapiro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Glorieux" <guy.glorieux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tech vs Image

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Spirer"

Thanks for your reference to the F/64 Manifesto. I had forgotten how crisp it was
(or perhaps should we say: sharp?).

Think of what the PF discussions would look like if we had such a statement of intentions. We could actually just replace a few dots here and there in the F/64 manifesto and turn it into our very own:

                                         PhotoForum Manifesto

"The chief object of the Group is to present in frequent shows what it considers the best contemporary photography of the West ..."(snip)

Obviously this is a relevant goal since the PF gallery tries to present every week what each might consider to be their own very best photographs. But, as far back as my involvement with the group goes (1996, I believe), we're still a long way from even coming close to agreeing on what are the relevant criterias to assess these weekly contributions... -:))

"Group f/64 is not pretending to ... indicate any deprecating opinion of the photographers who are not included in its shows. There are a great number of serious workers in photography whose style and technique does not relate to the metier of the Group..." (snip)

Oooops! We're a long way from this too, are'nt we?

"The Group will show no work at any time that does not conform to its standards of pure photography. Pure photography is defined as possessing no qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any other art form ...(e.g.)...painting and the graphic arts...." (snip)

Ooooops (again)! There goes PhotoShop's paint and aquarelle filters as acceptable tools behind the weekly gallery submissions!

The members of Group believe that photography, as an art form, must develop along lines defined by the actualities and limitations of the photographic medium..."

Enters digital!? Is silver the medium?

The Group will appreciate information regarding any serious work in photography that has escaped its attention, and is favorable towards establishing itself as a Forum of Modern Photography."

What a goal! Think of the kind of high level discussions (substance not technique) the PF could embark on if it were to rewrite this as its own Manifesto.

Hmmm...  Of course, one can always dream...

Best regards,

Guy