Re: [ PF Exhibits on 09 APR 05] / Photographing rainbows

Having a camera but no film and seeing such a rainbow - this must be really tough! Good that you managed to get some in time...
I was very lucky to see a beautiful rainbow over the Sydney Opera house once
( http://australia.travelphoto.net/australia-1.html ) and another one in Scotland (I sent it to the gallery for next week, but if you're interested you can already see it at http://www.travelphoto.net/a-photo-a-day/wordpress/wp-content/scotland-picture0054a.jpg ).
I remember that in Scotland it took an eternity to find the right point of view and the polarizer, - photography can be quite stressful at times!
The one in Scotland actually was a double rainbow, but by the time I had retrieved the filter from my bag, the second part had already faded.
Here's a version without filter: http://www.travelphoto.net/a-photo-a-day/wordpress/wp-content/scotland-picture0052-800.jpg .

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/

SteveS wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "enquiries" <enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: PF Exhibits on 09 APR 05]

Steve Shapiro
nice rainbow, especially the reflection on the water. Did you use a polarizer?

No polarizer. There was a rainbow, I had no film. I rushed to the local lab and bought my favorite, Kodak Ultra 400 and loaded it into my most simple camera, the Canon Rebel. On DEP I focused near, far and began snapping. To my surprise, I was shooting at 1000th of a second at f22. It's hard to notice the brightness of the light after a rain, because it's all so evenly distributed.

There it was, and I did almost the whole roll on different angles.

Interesting, the last three posts, my first, have taught me how the gallery is nice to create and participate in a forum on subject, but catering to the techno-weenies . . . this is not the place to adequately show great prints.

My print of the tree falling in the forest, does it make any noise? No. The highlight detail is not audible in teh transfer, consequently the loss of composition value without this detailed highlight main subject matter makes in the end a picture of little attraction.

The historic value of the Carmel River picture was lost by technical details, too. The fact that those colors of the first day of spring after a spring rain was meant to be overshadowed by the fact that that spring rain caused flooding, and those were the colors after a rain to end a seven year draught. Children in California were walking and talking in their life times but had never seen rain.

This was a stunner. A unique view, and could be seen with any camera, any way.

Thanks for seeing it.  No.  No polarizer.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA