Re: Film Vs. Digital

--- kakarlhah-jejennershshahjeniiinetet.auauwrote:

> As an adadvisoro medical photographers it's not been funny for me.  I
> watched them move (against advise) to digital, only to have to step back
> and watch them tearing out lots of hair over cocolourssues, lost data and
> the like.
<clip>

>From my perspective, lack of color issues is one of the things I love best. I
no longer need to carry a bunch of corrective filters, none of which would be
exactly correct for the mix or type of light. I also no longer need to shoot a
gray card and tell the lab processing guy to set his equipment for that and
leave it alone for the rest of the role so that my green objects are green and
not blue.

> There are intrinsic differences in format sizes that go far beyond
> resolution, but not all people are aware of this.  Heck, 35mm technical pan
> blows the socks of 100ASA 4x5 but who dumped their 4x5's for that approach?
> Resolution was only part of the reason for larger format use, but it was
> not the only one.
<clip>

I would like a medium format digital camera with perspective correction, but
alas, it will always be too expensive for the same reasons the film version
was.

> fortunately over 50 years of access to video has not killed the largest
> consumer of film, the cine industry.  not sure how many x-rays could be
> done with a digital camera either, but I suspect they too will be using
> silver for some time to come.
<clip>

My dentist takes digital x-rays now. It is great. He can tell instantly if he
got the shot right.

Mark Rogers
Frame Destination, Inc.
hthttp/wwwwwrframedestinationom