Re: PF Exhibits on 02 APR 05

<<chemicals cost a helluva lot less than inks. Mechanical cameras cost a
helluve lot less than continual upgrades to newer digital models. software
upgrades? only this week we were talking about the cost of PS CS2!>>
It's consumerism gone mad karl: Shopping really IS the new religion.
The pros on the list may well be making a rational decision to upgrade: offsetting the costs against the benefits on the tiny - but important - increases in functionality. But the majority of software consumers I come across are simply Musthave's.  They've always got the latest - Microsoft and Adobe version - yet strangely thier pictures look embarrasingly poor against my PS5 versions :o)

In PS I'm waiting for one and only one major advance: FULL funtionality for 16 bit-per channel image handling (ok, I'll even settle for Adobe PS's 15-bit internal workings).  That is, a seamless operation: for layers and all the filters and tools.  Does CS2 have that?

I only shot 50-rolls of film last year.  That's 300 quid all in, total (oh, ignoring a few batteries).  By going digital I could have, err, saved myself ... errr .....

<<
I classify myself as an enthusiast these day. I don't want to be a pro in
the ultra-competitive market that exists here in my home town, where folks
will sell images (and surrender the copyright) that end up as billboard
advertising for less than $350 USD. no way.. competing against every fool
with a digital camera who'll undercut you at the drop of a hat.

Karl, it's not undercut, it's giving the images for free for the "glory" of seeing thier images in print.  I saw that on a list only 2 days ago: a request from a commercial site for donations of images.  No "holy-crap" indignant responses at all.  Not like we would see if they tried it  on PF.  And people are happy to let thier images be used for free.  i sort of understand that: better than just letting them rot unseen.

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/